Sunday, November 30, 2008

Let it snow, let it snow, ...

Returning to Bleak House after a week in SJ & DC celebrating Turkey Bowl XXXLIII (my annual get-together with college buddies), I found 2" of old snow on the driveway and parking area.



Finally we're getting the snow base needed for snowshoeing. A dead 30' tall, 18" diameter tree behind the house had fallen toward the parking area and broke in two. The top part landed in the parking area close to where I sometime park. Phew

The Lake Placid area has about 12" of snow. Hunting season ends December 7th. Then I'll get back into the woods for snowshoeing. The Northfield-Lake Placid trail in a 130+ mile north-south lowland trail. I've hiked a small portion near Lake Placid. This should be the perfect easy winter hike. I've 3 sets of snowshoes and trekking poles, so there is equipment for visitors. There are also places in Lake Placid to rent equipment.
(see: http://highpeakscyclery.com/page.cfm?pageID=125)

For those interested in X Country Skiing check out Cascade Cross Country Ski Center:
http://www.cascadeski.com/index.html
I've visited the shop and everyone was very nice and friendly. When there is a full moon, they do all night sking with bonfires and drinks along the trails and music in the lodge.

Here are some wild turkey tracks I found behind the house. There must have a lot of them because there are a whole lot of tracks like this.


Be well my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment