Monday, November 17, 2008

Another Tragedy

A hunter was killed on Saturday, apparently by someone in his own hunting party, in Keene. This happened about 8 miles from my house. Here's a Press Republican story about it:
http://www.pressrepublican.com/0100_news/local_story_321215415.html
He had 2 small children.

I don't have any problems with hunting. I don't hunt but I do eat meat. I don't understand how you can discharge a weapon without being 100% certain, I mean ontological certainty, that what you're trying to KILL is what you intend to kill.

Even if no charges are filled, will he lose his hunting privileges? If it was an auto accident, wouldn't he?

The towns up here are very small. The population for the Town of Keene was estimated to be 1037 in July 2007. The Town of Keene is made up of 3 so called hamlets: Keene, Keene Valley, and St. Huberts. These hamlets are 1-3 miles apart. The hamlet of Keene has maybe 300 people. Two months ago another father of 2 young children died after a fall in the woods. So anything that happens effects them profoundly.

I'll be getting safety vests, the kind construction workers wear, for snowshoeing this year.

Be well.

2 comments:

  1. I also think that if people want to hunt, let them hunt. But this kind of thing should never happen. We are talking about killing people here. There has to be a absolute certainty that what is in your scope is not a person. Simple as that. And frankly, though most of these "accidents" do not result in charges being filed, I think they should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree there should be punishment for hunting "accidents" as there are with automobile accidents. Do you think, as a precaution to not be mistaken for an animal, reflective tape may help, or do you feel as though that may make you an easier target? It is a very wise decision to use safety vests Darryl.

    ReplyDelete