Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spring is Here?

We've had almost a week of uninterrupted sunshine with overnight lows in the teens and daytime highs around 35º. So I'm still waiting for the real spring. To help things along, I bought a kayak today from EMS in Lake Placid. I had an email coupon for 25% off any full price item. I've had my eyes on this particular kayak for awhile. So with the inflatable kayak I already have, I'm ready for some outings this summer.

Deb and I had a WONDERFUL overnight in Brooklyn, NY a few weeks ago. I would highly recommend giving Brooklyn a try. Even if you don't usually like BIG cities, Brooklyn was fun. Lots of interesting streets, restaurants, antiques shops, and a great botanical garden. Hotels are at least $50/night less expensive. And you get to "Take the A Train" to get there from Penn Station. It's only 10 min. away.

Deb is doing a summer musical theater workshop in the Adirondacks from July 13-17. Two of her students are helping her with it, So they and their family will be here for the week. Their younger brother will be attending the workshop. I had the pleasure of traveling with their father on the choir Paris trip last Easter. It should be a fun week.

Other planned visitors this summer include (so far) more friends from Deb's choirs, Liesl & Bill; Kristin, Mike & Winnie(my grand-daughter); and my niece, Candy, with her 2 children. Their grandparents, my brother Larry and sister-in-law Grace will be with them. Her husband, Chet, is scheduled to return to Afghanistan in April. This will be his 2nd deployment there. He's also served in Iraq. When you see the impact this has on the families of servicemen and women, you get a really different perspective of the sacrifices they make for us.

I'll be teaching at Clinton Community College in the fall. I'm looking forward to getting back to the classroom. It's been a few years since I last taught. I'll be teaching 2 classes, one pre-algebra and one introductory algebra. They've said I could have as many as 3 classes a semester, if I wanted that many, for the forseeable future.

Be sure to check out Denise's blog for the status of her garden. I'm looking forward to eating lots of her fresh fruits and veggies this summer.

Be well my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment